apt 0.5.4: preferences file

I put in a lot of effort yesterday studying the man pages for apt and
apt_preferences as well as the APT HOWTO which is buried deep
in the Debian website.

To no avail. apt turned up its nose at my feeble attempt to write a
preferences file. I usually beat my head against the brick wall until I
figure out obscure documentation but on this one, the patience isn't
forthcoming.

Rather than ask help, if someone has a smoothly functioning
/etc/apt/preferences file which they would be willing to share,
please e-mail it to me (bruce.miller@ottawa.com) and I will use it
to figure out where I went wrong on the concepts.