Re: Anti-aliased fonts in KDE 2.2.1: ``Adobe" fonts not available when anti-aliasing enabled

Am Donnerstag, 11. Oktober 2001 18:39 schrieb Bruce Miller:

> My present question was somewhat different. The list of available
> fonts which appears in the Fonts module of the KDE Control Center
> changes depending on whether the use anti-aliased fonts checkbox
> is marked or not. The most obvious difference is that the well-
> known 35 Type 1 fonts (including Helvetica, Times, etc) disappear
> when anti-aliased fonts are implemented by using the checkbox.
> The fonts are installed; it is something in the anti-aliasing process
> which causes them to disappear from the list of available fonts.
> This is the behaviour which I am trying to understand.

The 35 standard PostScript fonts are mostly not really there, but
exist only as aliases pointing to approximations. E.g. Times is only
an alias for "Nimbus Roman No9 L". These aliases are defined in the
file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/fonts.scale.
Could it be that the fonts are really there but only the aliases
are missing?