Anti-aliased fonts in KDE 2.2.1: ``Adobe" fonts not available when anti-aliasing enabled

I believe that this topic was already covered in the Debian-KDE list,
but I can no longer find the references, even in the mailing list
archive. Please forgive me if I have missed the obvious.

I have upgraded Libranet Linux 1.9.1 from potato to woody and
added KDE 2.2.1 from sid. These upgrades install XFree 4.1.0.

I immediately began to experience font problems. In trying to track
them down, I updated a number of xfonts, gsfonts, gsfonts-x11
packages. Everything appears to be working now, except that,
when anti-aliasing is enabled, the fonts module of KDE Control
Center shows none of the standard 35 ``Adobe" fonts installed by
gsfonts-x11. This is more important than it might sound because
the ``default" font of KDE is Helvetica which is one of the 35
``gsfonts". Not surprisingly, KDE is unhappy when it cannot find its
default font.

If anti-aliasing is disabled, the 35 ``standard Adobe fonts" re-appear
in the fonts list. (P.S. After each change of anti-aliasing status,
KDE needs to be restarted.)

Bottom line for the moment: one can have anti-aliasing or the 35
``standard Adobe fonts" but not both. Is there a way to have one's
font cake and eat it too?