locale settings?

I realise this is probably a stupid question, but . . .

I just installed Kylix on my system but it refuses to start with the
following error:

LC_ALL is set to C. Can't start Kylix.

I get the same error in a pop-up box and in the term I start startkylix from.

I tried to change my locale in the Country & Languages control module and
allthough I can change Country to Ireland, the only language available is
English US (C). There are no other options available. Am I missing a package?
Or is there somewhere else I need to make this change? Personally I think
it's poor form that Kylix won't run with the locale set to C as this seems to
be the default setting until you wish to change it.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

	John Gay