Odd Behavior w/ Update-menus

What has previously been labeled "virus-like behavior" with respect to menu
updating seems to have been resolved as a format-error in a certain file
(xterm).

I hope that the problem experienced by my system is not solitary.  When I try
to update-menus, the following is reported:

  Now rebuilding system menus.
  cat: components.menu: No such file or directory

Any information is most appreciated in the search for a solution.  It seems
something is not completing when the user issues an "update-menus".

Thank you.
--
Robert Tilley, tilleyrw@cfl.rr.com