Fwd: kde virus-like menu masher

Hi all,

This situation was mentioned on debian-user some time ago, but not answered.
If this isn't the appropriate list, please let me know and I'll go elsewhere.

I just did a fresh install of woody on my son's machine by using a 2.2r2 cd
to install a base system, then apt-get upgrade then apt-get distupgrade.  I
then installed x-window-system along with icewm and eterm.  So far so good.

I then installed the kdebase packages and selected kde applications (plus
some additional non-kde apps).  The only things that show on the menu are
packages that would be listed with a search on the packages page for
descriptions using the search criteria "kde".  Even such as Gimp, eterm,
xterm, don't appear.

On my machine, the kdm log-in gives a choice of default, icewm, and failsafe.
 On the new install, only default and failsafe appear.

I'm a debian newbie (migrated from Corel Linux about a year ago) and haven't
a clue where to begin to figure this out.  Any help would be appreciated.

The machine is a 450 mhz, k6 with 128 mb ram.

tia
bob