Re: Konsole keys problem

Am Dienstag, 2. Oktober 2001 00:14 schrieb Achim Bohnet:
> On Monday 01 October 2001 09:29, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Let's start a fresh thread ;)
>
> > the home and end keys in konsole do not work anymore (I tried every
> > keyboard setting there). Strange is that when I ssh to a host with X3.3.6
> > they work, on a host with X4.1 they don't.
> > Bug??? Compilation problem???
>
> No, just a configuration mess!  Basicly there are 2 different kind of
> escape sequences:
>
> linux.keytab:key Home   : "\E[1~"
> linux.keytab:key End    : "\E[4~"
> vt100.keytab:key Home   : "\E[H"
> vt100.keytab:key End    : "\E[F"
>
> xterm in 3.3.6 used the linux bindings as default (see
> /etc/X11/Xresources/xterm in unstable)  Try Alt-F1 and

this file only exists in stable (and xterm from 3.3.6)

> To enhance confusion, konsoles default.Keytab despite called 'xterm (Xfree
> 4.x.x)' still use 3.3.6 binding -> break home/end in mc (I've a real (well,
> real debian) xterm.keytab but upstream did not comment on it).

So this has to be fixed upstream!?

> Working on testing with X 4.1 using konsoles vt100 bindings mc works
> locally but ssh to stable with X 3.3.6 -> mc ignores Home/End.

Not over here but I use Woody mainly, only KDE2.2 small other things are from
unstable. But neither "\E[H" nor "\E[1~" works locally, although only the
latter works on a remote Potato.
Maybe there is one file that should be from unstable instead of testing. I
won't migrate to complete unstable dist just because of two keys in konsole.
Thanks for the good explanation, though :-)

I found a working thing for my konsole, though:
in .bashrc: export TERM=linux
sets it to "linux" instead of "xterm".
but this makes mc look veeery ugly and some other things do not work anymore.
Maybe one magic package has the wrong version.

xterm and Eterm are not working 100%, too. Alt-s for jumping through file
listing does not work there, neither does the mouse *grmpf* So I can decide
between Alt-s + mouse and Home + End. This is hard, really.
It seems that mc is the ultimate test for X terminal emulations.

The best way seems to be to switch to a real VC: just like a wonder,
everything there works.

> Switching to linux bindings breaks Home/End in mc on testing but slogin to
> stable and run mc you have working Home/End.

> So two 'solutions': Change keyboard settings in konsole depending if you
> work on stable or unstable. Or hack a keytab file and and e.g.,  Key
> Home+Control and Key End+Control to emit the second type of Home-End escape
> sequence.

My only way, well, see above.

HS

- --