Re: Strange System Use

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 08:10:18AM -0400, Robert Tilley wrote:
> This morning, when I woke my Debian box, activity was sluggish and gkrellm
> showed my CPU usage to be 100%.
>
> Issuing a "top" revealed that a process called htdig was consuming 30+% of
> system resources.  The problem persisted as I visited bugs.kde.org, with
> the htmerge and sort processes also ranking #1 and #2 in top system CPU use.

Nothing weird happened, htdig was indexing all your html files to make
it possible to search in them. This happens in a cron job, usually late
at night when you should be in bed :-)

I moved it to 6:25, since it's rather frustrating if updatedb begins to
run while I'm compiling!

--
Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix