Strange System Use

Following an apt-get system update last night, which the maintainer of
Konqueror said would cure the glibc6 problems, everything seemed to be good.

This morning, when I woke my Debian box, activity was sluggish and gkrellm
showed my CPU usage to be 100%.

Issuing a "top" revealed that a process called htdig was consuming 30+% of
system resources.  The problem persisted as I visited bugs.kde.org, with
the htmerge and sort processes also ranking #1 and #2 in top system CPU use.

Eventually (now in fact as I type), things have settled back to normal.  I
had feared I might have to log out and then back in, or (gods no!) reboot.

This may be a side-effect of sleep-mode following the latest updates.

I wanted to post this so that any developers trolling the list might learn
of this phenomena.
--
Robert Tilley, tilleyrw@cfl.rr.com