woody: mount floppy with desktop icon = no long filenames

When I mount a floppy using the KDE desktop icon I get filenames that are
abreviated and ugly versions of what is actually on the floppy, although I
specified vfat as the filesystem.
I use woody CDs version 3.0.13 (KDE version is 2.1).

I don't have a clue what exactly happens when I tell the desktop icon to mount
the floppy, but it worked well under potato (2.2r3) with much the same setup
(same Floppy file in the Desktop directory, same fstab).

Also, I can manually mount the floppy and get what I want.

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Matthias