Re: Update 2.2.1 -> 2.2.2 -> weird behavior

I wrote:
> 1) Sound server does not start, even though it is properly configured.
> However, sound works as soon as I
>   - change any setting under Sound -> Sound Server,
>   - APPLY it,
>   - change it back to the original setting,
>   - and APPLY again.
>
> However, as soon as I leave KDE and restart it, I > have to go this
> procedure again to get sound working.

I played a little with this one and I realized that it does not matter
whether I use libarts or libarts-alsa (using alsa 0.9beta9 including OSS
emulation). I must restart the sound server (and the only way I found
was to force control center to do it after changing any settings) - then
I get sound under 2.2.2 - until I quit KDE.

> 2) Fonts for non-KDE apps:
>
> I use Opera. "General font" is set to verdana/8 under Look & Feel ->
> Fonts. AA is on and working correctly.
>
> Under 2.2.2, opera starts with a big (aa'd) font, whatever that is, it's

Correction: The font is NOT aa'd, neither does Opera (dynamically linked
to qt; using qt 2.3.1-16) display any aa'd fonts in browser window
_at_all_.

> not verdana. However, as soon as I "change" the font setting for General
> font under Look & Feel-> fonts to the SAME font that already was
> selected and APPLY these "changes", Opera shows up with usual verdana
> font.

... and displays aa'd fonts as under 2.2.1.

It seems that KDE forgets registering fonts to qt (or something like
that) at startup and does that correctly when updating system settings.

> 3) Battery Monitor does not show up automatically on starting KDE.
>
> Again, the same thing: It shows up as soon as I "change" its setting
> under Power Control -> Battery Monitor twice, ie to the same setting as
> before, and APPLY. And again: Leaving and restarting KDE does not make
> the battery monitor show up.

It's enough to click "apply" under "Power control" -> "Battery monitor";
I don't even need to update any setting there. Battery monitor shows up
immediately after clicking "APPLY".

> 4) Konsole

Thanks to all who replied on this. I am now using konsole 2.2.1 again,
this avoids the bug.

As to 1) - 3), I would file bug reports if anybody could confirm these.

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria                  Check it out: