Re: KMail and Debian packages

On Wednesday 21 November 2001 21:08, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:

> but the question is...what good would it do us now?  The next version of
> KDE is 3 and the package names are different so putting in hacks (which is
> all they are) won't do a bit of good.

Maybe also the package names for KDE 2.1 and KDE 2.2 should have been
different? From the point of view of KDE there is also no problem to have
both versions installed.
The only difference is, for KDE 2.1/2.2 it is tried to be compatible, for KDE
3.0 compatibility is definitely broken.
>From the users perspective the step should not be bigger. Just KMail 1.2 will
not even start with kdelibs-3.0 instead of working with some problems like
with kdelibs-2.2.

> what I don't understand is that testing breaks majorly quite often...so
> you would think that users would get use to this.

That might also partly a KDE problem. KDE applications have a menu item that
allows to submit bug reports. Therefore people see this first and try to use
it to get support how to get the application running.

Also the problem is, it is not easily understandable to the average user, why
just compiling the code can cause a broken application.

Regards,
Michael Häckel