Re: KDE directory layout

On November 4, 2001 01:32 pm, you wrote:

> My problem is that once I install kde 3.0 libraries, kde 2.x stops working!
>
> > All the problems I see,  could be solved with the use of a few symlinks [
> > to get back to a working KDE ].
>
> Hmm. Could you elaborate on that?
>
> Thanks,

All current QT stuff goes into its own directory,  eg  qt-2.3.1.
the new QT-3  goes in qt-3.0

set $QTDIR  to qt
Make a symlink 'qt' to qt-2.3.1.   When you want to try out kde3  change the
symlink. to the other directory.   This symlink stuff is easy to do in
Midnight Commander ( console version) incidentally.

Now go through the same procedure for kde.   You could have any number of
older kde versions available.  This was what SuSE did in 7.x  when they
wanted to include 1.45 and 2.0  beta.  I had the 2.0 beta  and several 2.0.x
versions at one time.  It only takes a minute or two to change the 2 or 3
symlinks, log out and back in.

You also have to include the qt3 directory in /etc/lib????  I think there are
4 things to be done but my memory fades.  Have to find my notes.

--
Merv

Merv Curley
Toronto, On.  Ca