Re: trying to upgrade KDE - now nothing works!

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 17:40, Rachel Andrew wrote:

> >The point is that there are no KDE 2.2-debs for Potato!
>
> ahhh.. ok =)
>

> >If your box is NOT a server, needing 99% uptime and the latest
> >security-patches available cause of a high possibility to be attacked, you
> >can upgrade your whole system to woody and then get the KDE 2.2-bins from
> >sid.
>
> yep that would work. I was wary of using Woody because I'm still very much
> new to Debian (I had used RedHat before but it was a lot easier to
> install). The box is behind a firewall and is just for testing stuff really
> so upgrading would be an option.
>
> If you could explain how I go about this I'd be grateful. Can I upgrade via
> apt-get ?

What I do is simply replacing 'stable' by 'testing' in your apt source
list update your available package list and start install. In most cases
everything works fine. Anyway, I always backup my entire system before
upgrading ... just in case.

Woody works well.

By the way, when I upgraded a system from woody to sid my KDE
packages could not be automatically installed. I had first to unistall
all KDE packages and install the new ones after and than it worked.

Bye, Steffen