Re: "Save Link as..." in ftp-mode

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 11:30:58AM +0100, Frank Mehnert wrote:

> On Monday 29 October 2001 19:09, Jens Benecke wrote:
> > I prefer when applications show me the options that make sense. In
> > theory,
> For me, an application makes sense, if it helps me solving my tasks. I
> think, it is better to have a function that is duplicated (like save as
> ... on local disks) than to enforce the user to subject a global "using
> policy".  If you don't want to use "Save as...", you can simply ignore
> it.

I partly agree with it, only partly though. I don't like overcrowded menus
(that's why I am one of the few persons that think hiding seldomly used
menu entries like in Windows 2000 actually makes sense, if it stays an
OPTION).

> > > underlaying protocol is ftp or http. What I want is a "Save as..."
> > > function. Maybe it is needless on local disks, however, I'm tired to
> > > "copy / goto home / paste".
> >
> > Congratulations, you've just found out why just about every file
> > manager application worth its salt consists of _two_ windows - be it
> > Explorer, Norton Commander, or whatever. ;)
>
> Hmmm. :-)

There you are. :-)

Ever seen Acorn? The OS was completely object oriented. You didn't start
program (at all) - every 'application' was designed as an extension to the
OS. There was a desktop, and a desktop manager application, and if you
wanted to create a graphics image you created one on the desktop and opened
it, then there would appear a toolbar, menus, etc and the image in the
middle - but you didn't actually _start_ an appliation. When you wanted to
save the stuff, you just closed it, or chose a "Save" button. There was no
'file open' or 'file close'. The OS ensured that you almost never saw one
object twice.

Makes a lot of sense, almost everybody I know who began using computers was
completely confused to see the same things in several windows. It's
impossible and confusing to have the same piece of paper in each hand, so
it's unintuitive for a GUI to act like this.

--
Jens Benecke ········ http://www.hitchhikers.de/ - Europas Mitfahrzentrale
   · . ·