kde 2.2 errors and konqueror crashes

I couldn't leave well enough alone. I had to upgrade my perfectly useable kde
2.1 system to 2.2.  Here's what happens:

I start kde, no problem. I bring up an xterm - no problem. In the xterm I
start a konsole and I'm greeted with:

rskoss@bear:~$ konsole&
[1] 1339
rskoss@bear:~$ QPixmap::convertFromImage: Cannot convert a null image
QPixmap::convertFromImage: Cannot convert a null image
QPixmap::convertFromImage: Cannot convert a null image
QPixmap::convertFromImage: Cannot convert a null image
QPixmap::convertFromImage: Cannot convert a null image
QPixmap::convertFromImage: Cannot convert a null image
QPixmap::convertFromImage: Cannot convert a null image

I get the same error messages, only much more of them when I bring up kmail,
which I'm using right now.

When I start konqureror, more of the same messages. I can crash konqueror
really easily by going to Window and selecting Show side bar.  Once the
sidebar window is displayed, I just click on any of the entries in the list
and I get a signal 11.   I also get the following message in the konsole
where I started konqueror:

Crash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = konqueror path = <unknown> pid = 1353

Is this happening to anyone else?  Any ideas what to do next??