Sound in KDE

Hello,

I was using Potato until recently and upgraded to Woody a few
days ago, when I got a new computer at work. I installed the KDE
packages, and they are working well except for two problems:

1. Java and Javascript are not working at all in Konqueror,
even though both are enabled globally. Whenever I open a document
with an applet, I get a grey patch saying "Loading applet". I
have installed jdk1.1.

2. Sound is not working in KDE. When KDE starts it produces the
following error message in $HOME/.xsession-errors:

	Error while initializing the sound driver:
	device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)

The properties of /dev/dsp are:

	crw-rw-rw-    1 root     audio     14,   3 Jul  5  2000 /dev/dsp

and the same is true of /dev/audio. I have added myself to the
group 'audio' too. The sound card is an Intel on board card.
According to sndconfig running on an identical RedHat machine,
the model is "Intel Corporation|82820 820 (Camino 2) AC'97
Audio". (The Debian packaged sndconfig does not recognise the
same card on my machine.) I am running kernel-image-2.4.9-686
with the following modules currently loaded: ide-cdi, cdrom,
i810, agpgart, soundcore, rtc, eepro100, unix, ide-disk,
ide-probe-mod, ide-mod, ext2. General sound apps like cdplay,
grip etc.  seem to be working fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Raghavendra.

--
N. Raghavendra                    | GnuPG signed/encrypted mail
raghu@mri.ernet.in                | welcome.  Key ID: 03618806.