self-aligning icons on the desktop

Suddenly the icons on my desktop insist on being aligned vertically down the
left side of the screen, and in an order of their own choosing.  If I drag
them somewhere else they snap right back where they were.   The only thing I
have found that changes that behavior at all is

Preferences->Look & Feel->Desktop-> Align icons Vertically on Desktop

and that just arranges them horizontally along the top of the screen.

I'm tracking debian unstable and kde 2.2 and this seems to be new behavior.
I much prefer to arrange icons around my desktop in my own way.   Anyone else
seeing this?  Have you found a way to turn it off?

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>
They have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve.