Re: Printing with KDE 2.2

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 12:50:03PM -0700, David Bishop wrote:

> Well, after searching around, I can't find anything regarding running
> external scripts with cups.

At LinuxTag I spoke to the CUPS maintainer of Mandrake and he said it would
be necessary to write a new filter driver and design a new MIME type (e.g.
application/accounted-postscript) and assign that MIME type to my new
filter. You could probably copy a lot from the existing driver but had to
integrate your accounting.

I thought that was too much effort. =;)

> The only *workaround* I can find would be to
> somehow make a "filter" that every job passes though, which runs your
> script.  I would be willing to bet that it's just an oversight on my
> part, and a quick post to the cups newsgroups
> (http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?Gcups.general+H+VR) would get you an

As soon as I get the time to actually _do_ anything I'll have a look there.

> answer.  However, I also found built-in job accounting (job-billing,
> according to ipp), that would probably fit the bill, if you invested a
> bit of time rewritting your scripts.  If you combine job-billing with
> user authentication (both native in cups 1.1), you should be set.

The user authentication must be done via Samba and IPP, which (I suppose)
is passed along with the job.

> HTH,

I think it does. Thanks! :)

--
Jens Benecke ········ http://www.hitchhikers.de/ - Europas Mitfahrzentrale

MSTD, n: MicroSoft Transmitted Disease. Propagates only due to Microsoft's
insistence on distributing [software] that resembles Petri dishes.
See also ILOVEYOU, Melissa, Code Red, Sircam, IIS.
                     -- http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=MSTD