I upgraded to Woody and lost X/KDE!

I chose to risk upgrading to Woody last night again (third time) knowing
that I might find myself with an unusable box.

I would like to air my problems before wiping and reinstalling 2.2r3 Potato
again.

X-Windows has disappeared from my box.  The directory structure is still
there, as are some files -- but I cannot begin X to examine the updated KDE
applications that apt-"got".  In other words, "startx" is an unrecognized
command and cannot be found and a reboot does not start X nor kdm.

Does anyone have any insight into this?  Is this merely an instability as
Woody becomes 3.0 Stable?

Robert
tilleyrw@cfl.rr.com