Java and Konqueror

I can't get java/javascripts to work with Konqueror.
Installed java from potato...
Some research revealed that Konqueror needs a newer java.
>From the mailing list archives I found that blackdown had the 'debs'
that were supposed to be required...
Installed j2re1.3
Still no-go.
Selected /usr/lib/j2re1.3/bin/java in Konqueror's configuration.
Still no-go.

I am using a test site that is reporting:

JavaScript:
 JavaScript is a client-side programming language used on the site in the same
way as VBScript. Your web browser supports JavaScript up to version 1.1but is
currently disabled.

Java:
 Java is used to run small programs or 'applets' on a web page. Our site does
not use these at present. Your web browser supports Java Applets but they are
currently disabled.

Running debian potato.
Konqueror 2.1.1
KDE 2.1.2

PLEASE CC: me (I have tried again to subscribe but do not know if the
subscription worked or not)

--
best,
-bill