Re: KDE docs in other formats

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 01:27:24PM -0600, Bruce Sass wrote:

> Anyone know of any KDE2.2 docs available as texinfo,
> or ps, pdf, html, plain text?
>
> ...anything but docbook, it is just way too slow.
>

> I think KDE really blew it on this one, or maybe the build process for
> the docs is broken... I've always looked at LaTeX, SGML (docbook, xml,
> etc.), etc. as the *source* for documents -- which then gets converted
> to html, texinfo, rtf, ps, whatever.

I totally disagree.  docbook is the perfect format because these are
the *source* for documents...it allows for extremely easy language translations,
and does not require the distro to produce *.html/*.txt/*.etc... versions of
all the documentation.  One only has to have a docbook viewer (both KDE and
Gnome support reading of .docbook files directly) or you can convert it into
your own favorite extension.

Yes..it is slow due to the conversion/reading process but one gives up some
things to gain alot of other things.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II