broken kde 2.2.0_beta --- DCOP

I installed on 7/9 and things worked fine.  Then I upgraded on 7/10
(yesterday) and today it is broken.  I get the following messages for each
kde application that tries to configure

KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!

during the KDE start.  Startup takes a much longer than normal time at
"configuring windows manager" phase and is outputing lost of the above
messages to the console.  Then the screen stays at the background color and
KDE stops. A ctrl-Alt-backspace gets me back to the console from which I can
exit.

I am sending the kmail from a gnome-1.4 session.

Any help appreciated.  I suspect a number of people have a similar problem
and Ivan will be sending out new packages soon (I hope).

--
James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory