Fonts foulup

My KDE 2.2beta desktop on two machines can now see just three fonts
Charter, Courier and (the invisible) Cursor. On one machine, it
happened after I installed OpenOffice (build 632). On the other
machine, it happened after I installed Branden's XFree86 4.1
pre-release.

The funny thing is this, when I fire up another window manager or
desktop (Gnome/Sawfish or IceWM), the fonts appear properly in the
KDE applications themselves, including Konqueror and KMail.

Suggestions? Solutions?