Re: kdm crashes X after 5 restarts

moin,

> After trying kdm I recognized following behaviour : After 5 logouts
> (or 5 restart) with kdm, the X server stops, but the kdm daemon is
> still running.
>
> syslog says :
>
> kdm [1234] : Display :0 is being disabled (restarting too fast)

this is not a bug, but a feature. if you restart the display 5 times
in a row with less than two minutes between consecutive restarts, kdm
assumes that something is wrong and stops the display. you may adjust
the StartInterval and StartAttempts settings.
hmmm ... the used formula is a bit weird indeed. i'm thinking about
something with fewer side effects (concrete ideas are welcome).
btw, the daemon is not dead after it stops the display. you may wake up
all dead displays by sending a HUP to the daemon.

greetings

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.