Re: Forking processes?

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 09:47:43PM +0200, Andreas von Heydwolff wrote:

> Hi all, I'm running KDE 2.1.1 debs on a potato (2.2.3) machine. What can
> I do to stop the following behavior: Whenever I start a program with the
> GUI (and not from bash) I get two, seldom even three icons on the
> external taskbar that indicate that the app is loading, with I presume as
> many instances of the program starting. One of the two or three survives
> and becomse the program, the others processes die. I find it annoying and
> it takes more time for programs to become available for use at startup.

My guess is that you haven't yet got used to the fact that (other than e.g.
Windows) KDE by default doesn't require a double click to start a program.

If you click on something twice, it will be started twice. Or rather, as
most programs detect duplicates of themselves, they will start, but then
exit as soon as they detect this.

So what you are seeing is _probably_ due to what you are doing. Your
computer is taking your actions literally.

Just my guess, however. There might really be a bug if you don't double
click.

--
Jens Benecke
http://www.hitchhikers.de/ - Die kostenlose Mitfahrzentrale für ganz Europa