stable -> testing kde problems

I just upgraded my potato box to testing and am having problems getting kde
set up. I noticed there is no task-kde in testing (correct?). So I manually
picked the kde debs with dselect. I got kdm running fine, but when I try to
login via kdm, the machine hangs for a few seconds and then dumps me back to
kdm. I can however get kdm to lauch blackbox without problems though. What am
I missing/doing wrong?

FYI: This was inspired by the "upgrade" to a geforce2 mx video card. Any
relation?

-stephen