Re: KDE vs Gnome

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 04:09:27PM -0700, Alfred Hawley wrote:
> What files do I have to edit to get the logon to start KDE instead of gnome?
> I really don't want gnome at all but am afraid to simply remove it and maybe
> wind up with broken links that I still have to find and repair..
> Yes, I can follow instructions, as long as I don't have to recompile anything!
> Al Hawley

OK, you don't have to recompile anything. There are a couple of glitches out there when
KDM ( the KDE login manager ) generates it's session menu. You have 2 choices:
1. Run update-alternatives --config x-session-manager and choose KDE as default, then
use default session in the KDM login screen.
2. Run kcontrol, go into System/Login Manager and add a session called kde2. Choose that session from your KDM login.

First way is preferable since you never know when KDM will want to reconfigure it's menu again.

--
I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.