KDE vs Gnome

I'm very new to Linux and have what I hope is a question that has a
straightforward answer: (I've gotten headaches and eyestrain from all the
concentrated and so far fruitless RTFM)
My Debian Potato came with Gnome, so after installing the basic system I used
apt-get to install gnome. There were functions missing according to the help
docs, but it worked. Later, I used apt to install KDE 2.1.2 from a Debian
mirror site. All went well, except for a slight startup glitch. The logon
screen is obviously KDE's (I found a config file that describes it
perfectly), but the login is to a gnome session! The gnome main menu now
contains a Window Manager entry for KDE. Clicking on that brings up a KDE
session in all its glory.
What files do I have to edit to get the logon to start KDE instead of gnome?
I really don't want gnome at all but am afraid to simply remove it and maybe
wind up with broken links that I still have to find and repair..
Yes, I can follow instructions, as long as I don't have to recompile anything!
Al Hawley