KDE freezing and other weirdness

Hello all,

I recently install KDE2 from sid, and am experiencing some strange
problems.

To wit:

if I make any changes to my configuration (themes, styles and so
forth), konqueror and kmail refuse to load from the menu (strangely, this does
not always happen when I load it from konsole).

Having made changes, if I log out and log back in again, the splash
screen comes up, the various elements of KDE are loaded, and I am
presented with the "KDE is up and running". Only one problem with
this... KDE is emphatically not up and running... I face a blank grey
frozen screen.

Is anyone else experiencing this? What am I to do?

Cheers

Tiarnan