KDM settings/screen resolution problems

After a recent KDE update I found that when I rebooted
my computer it would only display 800x600. I spent
some time trying to fix it, and after losing X
altogether and building a new XF86config file, I typed
startx had 1024x768 again. I then switched from
Windowmaker to KDE and things were wonderful. After a
reboot, however when the KDM logon screen came up, I
once again had 800x600. What can I do to fix this?

Michael