How To Get Gimp 1.2.1 For Debian ?

Well my snazzy Debian 2.2r2 / KDE 2.1.1 setup is proving so much fun that
I'd now like to add what seems to be one of the best goodies for Linux -
namely the Gimp.  But the Gimp that comes with Potato is ancient (1.0.x),
and all reports are to the effect that Gimp 1.2.1 is so much better than any
previous release that's it's a waste of time trying anything older.

I've hunted around for any 1.2.1 debs for Potato, but haven't found any yet
(I can't even find any postings on the topic, which is puzzling ..)..
There appear to be 1.2.1 debs in "testing" and "unstable", but they make me
nervous ... (not recommended for stable systems ?).   So what's the best
advice : download tarballs for 1.2.1 from www.gimp.org, grab gtk+ & glib
from www.gtk.org, and compile everything up ?

Does Debian need any patches to the vanilla source for any reason ?

All answers gratefully received.  Pointers to debs / HOWTOs / etc. traded
for beverage of choice :-)

[ PS: I have nothing against Krayon - haven't tried it yet - will later, but
it seems to be at a much earlier development stage ]

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
        --- Frank Zappa