Re: Packaging WM themes - question

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Rob Walker wrote:
> It would be nice if there were a suid root, but user-runnable, theme
> installer which would install over the Network or from a local tarball
> of themes.  That way a user could install the themes which he wanted,
> they would go in system space, and the other users would not have to
> install them also.
>
> One problem I see is a user downloading a malicious theme tarball, and
> installing themes from it, causing problems system wide.  The
> verification process in the installer would have to be good.

This is do-able, and a lot of the system specific pieces
are in place, perhaps something like...
- get a theme unpacked into a tempdir
- debianize it with:
	dh_make --custom /path/to/kde-template
	dh_make -o /path/to/kde-theme-overlay
  this gives you a "wedge" into the debianization process
  (a place to do the verification from, within the framework
   provided by the existing packaging tools)
- lintian (doesn't hurt)
- install

Right now, kde-template == /usr/share/doc/kdelibs-dev/dh-make.

- Bruce