Re: Packaging WM themes - question

Quoting Rob Walker (rob@myinternetplace.net):

> Ben> Options are (1) release one huge-arse binary package; (2) release
> Ben> 39 packages, one for each theme; (3) release a moderate number of
> Ben> packages each containing a few themes.
>
> Ben> I am hesitant to do (1) because of the user's disk space usage.
> Ben> I am hesitant to do (2) because I'm not sure that debian wants a
> Ben> million kde-theme-* packages on its servers.
>
> I like (2).
>
> rob@host:~/$ apt-cache search . | wc -l
>    7230
>
> what's another 40 packages?

Argh !

<FLAME MODE>
Exactly this brain damaged behaviour is why we have
so many (useless mini)packages !

Debian is NOT a trash dump.

Have you put even 2 cents worth of thoughts into what you just
suggested ?

There are more then enough machines around that already have
problems with the package management. Machines that must run
with 16 or maybe 8 MB of memory (or even less) with an 386sx/16
CPU or similar.

Not everbody can like you afford the latest and greatest
machines with GHz CPUs, hundereds of MBs of memory and huge
harddisks.

We have now more then 500 Debian developers and if everbody
would follow your exceedingly stupid example, we would very
quickly have on the border to 30.000 packages !

Who on earth would want to dig through such masses of packages ?

NOBODY.

It would make Debian instantly unusable.

It is the perfect way to get rid of most of our users and many
developers.

It is already hard to manage as many packages as we have,
in terms of CPU cycles, used memory and psychologically.
Almost no normal user is willing to dig through the amount
of packages that we have already, to them it is confusing as
hell and they rather switch to SuSE or RedHat where you don't
have to choose.

Go, ask some of the other oldtimers on debian-devel that still
remember the old flamewars with Bruce where this was a topic
as well, what they think.

Ask the people that put much more thought, energy, money and
their heart into this project then you ever did and probably
ever will, people that build debian from ground up, what
they think.

Go and learn from those people before you speak such utter
nonsense again.

</FLAME MODE>

Ben: It might make sense to split it into 2 or 3 packages but
certainly not more.

People don't get me wrong. I am _NOT_ opposed to new packages
per se. They just should bring something new into Debian.

What I oppose is stupid splits of packages and things like the
50th ICQ client.

Cheers
   Mike
ScioByte GmbH
Michael Neuffer                            Phone:    +49 6131 540117
Zum Schiersteiner Grund 2                  Fax:      +49 6131 6109916
D-55127 Mainz                              Mobile:   +49 171  1406664
Germany                                    Mail: neuffer@sciobyte.com

People often think of research as a form of development -- that it's
about doing exactly what you planned, doing it on time, and doing it
with resources that you said you'd use.  But if you're going to do
that, you have to know what you are doing, and if you know what you
are doing, it isn't really research."
             --Dave Liddle, The New Yorker, Feb. 23/Mar.2, 1998, p84