Stuttering KMail + WM Selection

Two issues here:

1 -- The Debian-KDE mail server appears to be "stuttering" the e-mail it
sends out.  I received two copies of each individual e-mail on the list.

2 -- When KDM appears on my screen, there is no choice of which window
manager to use and if Default is selected, Blackbox begins.  Although I can
still use the KDE apps, I lose the cohesive environment that KDE is meant to
provide.  Which config file do I edit to add more window manager choices to
the KDM drop-down menu?

I understand that KDE is wm agnostic.  Is this a wise move?  I am seeking a
KDE config that is faster that the normal install.

Robert