Correct method for installing new apps

Hi

Whats the recommended way of intsalling self compiled KDE apps ?
Ivans KDE release goes in /usr and most things I compile myself I
would put in /usr/local however with KDE this doesnt work too well and
I end up having to symlink them to /usr/bin or whatever.

I could just change the options when compiling stuff and dump
everything in /usr but that doesn't seem like a good idea.

How do other people do it and still keep their filesystem nice and
clean ?

Regards

Pat