Re: to stop the thread over conffiles...

Hi

> As a sysad, I do not like to edit anything beneath /usr by hand

> Usually, in backing up a complete system, I regard it to be
> completely restorable with only the original packages at hand and a
> backup of everything except /usr.

And because that worked for me, it was one of reasons to change to
debian. It is even possible to recover most of an system, just with
an backup of /etc. And thats an argument that other debian developers
pointed out, when the issue comes to usability of linux in an large
network.

> Therefore, the correct place for the system wide override directory
> should be /etc/kde/{applnk,mimelnk,servcises,servicetypes} which
> might well be empty by default.

the should be emty. so the problem that they become configuration
files won't happen.

> Actually, I believe having both
> /usr/share/kde/applnk and /usr/share/applnk with different meaning
> would cause a lot of confusion. IMO, the second option should be
> dropped and replaced by a /etc/kde/applnk (empty by default)

I came from an distri with kde in /opt/kde. I think there are pros an
cons regarding this. But putting everything thats was in
/opt/kde/share to /usr/share wasn't o good decision. NOT because the
concept isn't good, but because the KDE-Projekt didn't really intend
to fit there share-dirs in the global /usr/share. A lot of the
core-developers working for SuSE or other companies that are going
the /opt/kde way. I think they just don't think the /usr/share-way.

So in my opinion /usr/share/{applnk,mimelnk,servcises,servicetypes}
would just stay for compatibility reasons. /usr/share/kde is a good
place for the default {applnk,mimelnk,servcises,servicetypes}-dirs. I
think gnome does the same in /usr/share/gnome (at least my ximian 1.4
does).

To come to an end: What are the good argument agains /etc/kde, like
Norbert Nemec suggested ?

By the way Thanks Ivan for your great work.

Hendrik