Re: Uhmm: kdm-config kdmrc Xsetup (potato)

> 1) Distinction between local Xserver and remote X-servers is gone
>
> ds02[0] /etc/X11/kdm # grep _0 kdm-config
> DisplayManager._0.authorize:    true
> DisplayManager._0.resources:    /etc/X11/kdm/Xresources_0
> DisplayManager._0.setup:        /etc/X11/kdm/Xsetup_0
> DisplayManager._0.startup:      /etc/X11/kdm/Xstartup_0
> DisplayManager._0.reset:        /etc/X11/kdm/Xreset_0
> ds02[0] /etc/X11/kdm # grep _0 kdm-config.dpkg-dist
> ds02[1] /etc/X11/kdm #
>
> This would certainly disappoint the X-Terminal users I serve here ;)

I don't truely understand this.  I'm following the upstream X format for
handling all of this.

> 2) kdmrc does not contain the KDE 2 session type anymore.  kdmrc diff give:

the default kdmrc should *not* contain anything except for default and
failsafe as you can install kdm without kdebase or any other wm/sm.  The
new kdm menu-method allows for automatic creation of the System Type list
if you have menu installed and have enabled it.  (man kdm.options)

> 4) Last but not least Xsetup starts at the kdmdesktop at the end
>    but /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kdm/kdmdesktop.html  Tells me
>    that kdmdesktop is obsolete and ignored by kdm.

what does running kdm without kdmdesktop running do for you?  I'll tell ya,
it gives you the background colors.  Not it is not needed for kdm to function
or at least it doesn't seem like it, but if you want kdm to look nice you
need to run it...however that is a configuration file so you can disable it
if you don't want it ran.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II