arts(d) and near crashes

    Hello,

I wanted to share my experience with system performance. I have been seeing
performance issues with various apps under KDE2. Seems like it always is
involved with arts(d). I've finally reached the point where I am not starting
the demon on startup and will live without sound events.

I want to say that my system goes into a tail spin of swappage, yet I'm
completely unconvinced that it's a memory issue. My mouse will move but out
of sync with the pointer (so it's useless) and the keyboard is still there,
but will not work to provide a 3 fingered salute.

I was able to get to my root console once and issue init 1 which allowed me
to keep my uptime (just over 40 days). This lock up was after I attempted to
print a document from StarOffice5.2 and I had xmms running with the arts
pluggin. It took nearly 15 minutes of attempting to leave x to get back to
the console.

The second and third quirks were after I attempted to use noatun to play an
ogg formated speech from RMS. During these events, my keyboard would no
longer function. The first time, I stayed for about 20 minutes but wasn't
getting out of x and couldn't kill x. I used the reset button and started
into 45 minutes of e2fsck'ing which took two shots (but it lived!). The
second time I was able to use my other box to ssh in and become root long
enough to do a shutdown -r now. It took 27 minutes to boot after I issued the
command, but the kernel didn't give up!

I recall some others were having major issues with noatun and here it has
never played nice but did play.

System is stable potato with kde2.1.2. A 450pIII with 128MB Dimms.

I'm not sure why kde went with the arts concept yet, but I'll browse the site
and see if known arts(d) issues are present. I wanted to drop the list a note
explaining at least my experience here. Now I have to seek out an ogg player
:)

tatah

--

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls/TELE: USA-707-442-6579\/A GNU-Debian linux user
Email: ke6sls@arrl.net WEB: http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls ICQ: 12741145