Re: Man pages (kdesdk, koffice)

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 03:27:49AM -0500, Ben Burton wrote:

> (I'm sending this to kde-devel also since it's a general KDE issue, not just
> Debian).
>
> > I've just been informed however, that the Debian KDE packages have already
> > been creating manual pages.  A cursory search through our CVS finds me a
> > handful of these, three in the kdebase module to be precise.
>
> I have a set of man pages written for all the apps in kdesdk and koffice.  In
> particular this includes every command-line utility in kdesdk (of which there
> are many).  You can find them all in the CVS under kdesdk/debian/*.1 (and
> koffice/debian/*.1).
>
> Aspects of the man pages that are debian-specific:  Some of them refer the
> reader to author's notes, html docs and the like in debian-specific paths
> (eg. /usr/share/doc/kword/html).  The man pages for qtdoc and kdedoc (from
> kdesdk) are very debian-specific since I patched the scripts to look for the
> corresponding Qt/KDE docs in the debian-installed locations; both of these
> man pages also have a DEBIAN USERS section detailing how to get the Qt/KDE
> docs.
>
> I can't speak for anyone else's man pages, but feel free to take all of those
> from kdesdk and koffice and put them in <module>/doc in whatever format you
> like.  My only desire is that they can be converted back into *roff format
> since Debian requires a man page for executable.

speaking for the rest of the man pages...those currently in kdebase include
2 for kdm (kdm.1 and kdm.options.5) and one for konqueror.  I created the
konqueror one myself so as to create an example for building of other man
pages..the kdm manpages are the xdm man pages in disguise.  (ie, cp xdm.1
kdm.1 and then sed -e 's#xdm#kdm#' )...

take what you want/need...Debian policy is to have a man page for every
binary so we are trying to do that and eventually might even get there.

Ivan
--
Ivan E. Moore II