is it possible to get rid of the trash icon?

I dont like desktop icons, and I am wondering if there is a way to get rid of
the trash icon on the desktop. I added a line to my startup script that
deletes the trash directory in my home directory, however I was wondering if
there was a cleaner way to do it.  Also, my roommate was wondering if it were
at all possible to have desktop icons without the text underneath them.

Much thanks to the Ivan and the debian-kde developers! Your work is greatly
appreciated!

-honest brad