Segfaults with KDE 2.1.1 on a mixed system

Hi all,

I've been getting acquainted with Linux for a year now and it has
become my everyday desktop system with occasional unavoidable visits
to Win98 that often end with a blue screen when rebooting. My current
system is an upgrade from Corel Linux 1.2 to potato 2.2r with
recently added *.deb packages of KDE 2.1.1, running the 2.2.19 kernel
compiled from source.

A few weeks ago I had tried 2.0, later installed KDE 2.1., now
manually deinstalled and purged all packages with dpkg, installed
2.1.1 with dpkg from an amateur CD with a layout that unfortunately
did not contain the package summary files needed by apt-get.

Then I completed and corrected the install with apt-get in the course
of which I had to -f upgrade libc I believe and something else that I
forgot the name of.

Some KDE1-apps are still functional with the KDE1 libs that I left on
the system. I changed the qt-dir and path to /usr/lib where qt 2.2.3
now resides.

KDE 2.1.1. runs well, did not crash yet and the stuff I found buggy
under 2.1. is mostly fixed.
KSysV-InitEditor crashes immediately, however, and Kuser changes
often won't stick.
When I start an application, the little panel icon that indicates the
starting process is comes twofold but the apps start.

I compiled KMLOFax, an excellent fax storage modem program of which
the KDE1 version works fine. I had a mail exchange with its
programmer and we are now sure that my system configureation must
somewhere be faulty: The binary can be compiled but it and another
small KDE 2 app from someone else that I compiled crash immediately
with a segfault and no other error messages.

Apt-get check gives no error messages, and everything else seems to
work.

Does anyone have any ideas which versions of what libs, binaries or
config stuff I might want to check before building a whole new system
with Woody's testing version or doing something else that my be
stupid?

All suggestions welcome ...

Best Regards,

-- AvH