Re: call for help with man pages

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 03:50:48PM -0600, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> Ok...so as I work on these 2.2 packages one of the policy bits that is still
> yet to be dealt with is man pages.  According to policy every binary must
> have a manpage.  (even if there is a common one which others link to)  Well
> KDE doesn't do man pages...they do docbook...so I need help.
>
> soo... anyone willing to help create a man page for every binary even some
> common man pages.  IMO all that is really needed in these are:
>
>    1: basic description
>    2: pointers to full documentation
>    3: copyright info (basic..it's GPL'd and the authors are... type of info)
>    4: command line info if available
>
> I'm looking at this for the 2.2 release so we will need to work off the
> 2.2 packages and binaries.  There are several tools which can help with this...
> take a look at all the docbook* packages and there are also man page editors
> now.

I started to do something with this a couple of months ago. Basically I
used help2man, slightly modified as it wants --help but the kde binaries
respond to -help...

Hmm... maybe one? common manpage for each upstream source package, ie
kdelibs, kdebase, kdegraphics, list the binaries provided by the source
package and point to /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/$pkg?

Then use 100's of symlinks? Or do you think more fine-grained detail?

Gordon Sadler