Brahms doesn't run -- what's /dev/sequencer?

Has anybody managed to get Brahms to run under KDE 2.1? I managed to
compile it cleanly but I get the following error when running it:

alpha:~$ brahms
Well - got no root rights, so the realtime clock rate is
64 Hz now, which may sound ugly sometimes
ERROR: Couldn't open /dev/sequencer to get some information
ERROR: Couldn't open /dev/sequencer to get some information
Segmentation fault

How do I get this /dev/sequencer to work properly? I also get a
similar message when I run kmid (but not, strangely, kmidi, that
other K midi player).

alpha:~$ kmid
KMid 2.0 Copyright (C) 1997,98,99,2000 Antonio Larrosa Jimenez.
Malaga (Spain)KMid comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details
view file COPYING
under certain conditions
Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display ":0.0".
ERROR: Couldn't open /dev/sequencer to get some information

What's going on? Any modules I need to install?