lockup on soft reset

On a potato box, P133, with a sound blaster  16 sound card, I can get a hard
lockup on the box, requiring a hard reset.

If I logout to kdm, do a shutdown - reboot, the system goes down normally.
Then reboots to kdm, I select my account and log in. The splash does its
thing, gets to peripheral init, then locks hard. If I come from a hard reset,
or login from another account, no problem.

I did a login, then switched to another console and ran top. As it updated,
it ran artsd then locked. I think the sound card is not reset, and locks on
initialization.

Any ideas? Who should I log this bug to?

Derek