Re: Yet Another Font Problem...

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 01:25:53AM +0200, Joe Blow wrote:
> I've got a problem with KDE 2.1.1 on Sid (surprise ! :-) Judging from
> the number of font-related messages on this list, I'm not the first...
> Anyway, I crafted through the January to April archive without finding
> something that looks like my problem. So I subscribed and here I am,
> with a new hope ;-)
>
> Here's the problem: KDE displays all my fonts (at least it displays
> their _names_ in the font selection widgets), but they are all rendered
> identically (they look as Helvetica, with the rare exception of
> misc-fixed, which is rendered correctly). No matter which font I
> choose, I end up with helvetica! I tried turning off AA in the Control
> Center, switching from xfs to xfs-xtt, disabling the font server and
> using the FontPath directives, rebuilding the fonts.(dir|alias) files,
> using that good ol' `xset fp rehash', removing my ~/.kde, etc., to no
> avail :(
>
> I did found a bug like this one in the KDE bug database (bug #18876),
> but it has been closed by the maintainer, because it was caused by a
> misconfigured X, according to him. But only KDE applications are
> affected by this problem. Firing up The GIMP or Mozilla shows that the
> fonts are indeed correctly displayed. I can't figure out the source of
> the problem. For reference, here is my font catalogue:
>
> catalogue =	/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,
> 		/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi,
> 		/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
> 		/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
> 		/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType,
> 		/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
> 		/usr/share/fonts/truetype
>
> If someone had an idea about what I should do, where I should search,
> or even a `` You suck, the solution is explained in that file or at
> that URL '', I would be very happy. BTW, my mileage did vary with the
> different upgrades, one of them worked perfectly (it's a pity I cannot
> remember what version it was :( except for Konqueror that seems so
> broken it cannot display anything but helvetica. Too bad because KDE is
> great but in such conditions, it's unusable...
>
> Hope someone has the solution.

qt-fonts-HOWTO.html
XftConfig.example

both files should have come installed with either konsole or konqueror
or kdebase itself. (ie /usr/share/doc/{kdebase,konsole,konqueror})

The important thing to remember, font servers play 0 role in this, it is
all controlled by /etc/X11/XftConfig and ~/.xftconfig, as far as AA
fonts go.

HTH

Gordon Sadler