Yet Another Font Problem...

Hello,

I've got a problem with KDE 2.1.1 on Sid (surprise ! :-) Judging from
the number of font-related messages on this list, I'm not the first...
Anyway, I crafted through the January to April archive without finding
something that looks like my problem. So I subscribed and here I am,
with a new hope ;-)

Here's the problem: KDE displays all my fonts (at least it displays
their _names_ in the font selection widgets), but they are all rendered
identically (they look as Helvetica, with the rare exception of
misc-fixed, which is rendered correctly). No matter which font I
choose, I end up with helvetica! I tried turning off AA in the Control
Center, switching from xfs to xfs-xtt, disabling the font server and
using the FontPath directives, rebuilding the fonts.(dir|alias) files,
using that good ol' `xset fp rehash', removing my ~/.kde, etc., to no
avail :(

I did found a bug like this one in the KDE bug database (bug #18876),
but it has been closed by the maintainer, because it was caused by a
misconfigured X, according to him. But only KDE applications are
affected by this problem. Firing up The GIMP or Mozilla shows that the
fonts are indeed correctly displayed. I can't figure out the source of
the problem. For reference, here is my font catalogue:

catalogue =	/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,
		/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi,
		/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
		/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
		/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType,
		/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
		/usr/share/fonts/truetype

If someone had an idea about what I should do, where I should search,
or even a `` You suck, the solution is explained in that file or at
that URL '', I would be very happy. BTW, my mileage did vary with the
different upgrades, one of them worked perfectly (it's a pity I cannot
remember what version it was :( except for Konqueror that seems so
broken it cannot display anything but helvetica. Too bad because KDE is
great but in such conditions, it's unusable...

Hope someone has the solution.

Regards,
JB/WSA/JC
--
 > Voici mon problème, j'ai deux PCs relies par des cartes ethernet,
 > configures avec le protocole PPP.
 -+- Romain in Guide du linuxien pervers - "Ils sont fous ces romains !" -+-