Re: Struggling to set up a development environment

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 16:28:05 -0600, you wrote:

>> However, with debian storing the libraries in different places, and
>> (maybe) kmail latest CVS needing I am not sure where to start.
>
>huh?  why does debian store the libraries in different places?

I thought that if you didn't set ./configure --prefix= then things got
built into /usr/local/kde/{lib,bin,share ...}

My misunderstanding here is partially at the root of my problem

>[...]
[...]
>> Can I have some simple advice as to where to start this process.
>
>simple advice:
>
>   If youre going to try building anything out of CVS HEAD branch (ie what
>will become 2.2) you need to build and install kdelibs from the same branch
>first.

I am trying to build out of the CVS HEAD branch

In my original post (not quoted in your reply) I tried building
kdelibs, but was getting a failure in kio/ftp with ftp.cc failing to
compile.  It complained that QString QApplication::translate .....
(can't remember the exact string right now) in qapplication.h was
trying to cast a char * to a QString (again not sure if this was exact
problem, but it was something like this).

Now I assume that there is something wrong with my headers for
libqt-dev rather than there being a real error in kdelibs.  This is
where I was worrying about directories and maybe setting QTDIR
environment variables etc.  In other words my overall confusion about
directories etc that I started my post with.

So by "simple advice" I meant both what you have given me in terms of
where to break the link between .debs and source from CVS (thank you)
and some clue as to whether I need to set these environment variables
and what to.

The secondary problem - which I didn't articulate at all in the
original message was how to get this lot recognised as a project
within kdevelop.  I tried building a project with the wizard and
"custom" settings, but I am then not sure how to set it up so that it
recognises all the files within.  In order to add files to the project
it seems to need to copy them from where ever they are into the
project directory (despite trying to set the project directory as the
one the source is already in).

Alan

alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandler.u-net.com