Re: task-kde only marginally useful

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 12:11:48PM -0600, Bruce Sass wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> > <...>
> > >
> > > no.  It is meant as a installation tool not a upgrade tool.
> >
> > Hmmm, no easy way to have the task depend on the most recent versions
> > of its components, or is it more complicated than that?
>
> heck no.  It would require that task-kde be updated constantly with the
> latest versions of every package it refers to.

right... not an easy thing to script?
(hmmm, could it be generalized into a "task manager" packaging tool)

> And beyond that it defeats
> the purpose of a task.

How so?  Installing the task would still get you everything, plus you
would get an upgrade if you already had the task installed.

I realize this kind of behaviour would only be useful (visible) to
unstable users... but isn't that where it is needed (so one can track
unstable-KDE without tracking all of unstable), and wouldn't that
result in more potential beta testers for the packages (by virtue of
lowering the bar to tracking unstable-KDE).

- Bruce