Help! kdm loops

I've already asked this list about my problem. No help at the moment!
In a nutshell: I've copied through NFS and "cp -a directories" a complete potato 2.2 +kde2 installation from my laptop to my desktop. After a bit tweaking to make the new installation work now it goes all ok but kdm. When I start it, kdm asks for my login and password, then it is unable to start kde but pops up again asking again for login and password and so on.
Following someone's advice here in the list, I had a look to /var/log/syslog and daemon.log.
Both the daemon.log and syslog reports the same poor message when I start kdm
(kdm start -debug 1):
....kdm[683]: Display :0 is being disabled (exit frequency too high)
What should I do?
P.S. take into account that startx works ok!
Ciao
Vittorio

messaggio inviato con Freemail by superEva
http://www.supereva.it